Friday, December 31, 2010

Going Cold Turkey

We no longer use a microwave. I know... take a moment to breathe in the vast meaning of that statement.

It has actually been something I've thought about doing for a few years now but never had the guts to actually do it. I mean... how can you live without one. It's just crazy thoughts!

Well the last place we lived had a microwave built in, so we put our old microwave in storage. And it got damaged in storage. So what better time to give it a try than when you don't have one and have to go spend money to get another.

Honestly it hasn't been that much different. It takes about the same amount of time to microwave something as it does to heat it on the stove in most cases. And I've been using our small counter top oven like crazy. I can use that to heat up leftovers etc.

I haven't really noticed a difference until I tried to heat up a wrap today. Warm outside... cold inside. So with a little trial and error, I realized I needed to cover the dish to really trap the heat and get it to the inside without burning the outside. Things you don't tend to think about when you have a microwave because microwaves cook from the inside first.

Give it a try if you're feeling gutsy. I'm sure it's way better for you in the long run. Next stop.. a hand cranked coffee grinder... LOL no really... I want one!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...